Friday, October 24, 2008

ahhh amsterdam

I headed off to Amsterdam last weekend on an impromptu sort of… well, everyone is leaving except me, so I might as well go somewhere….kind of a thing. This girl that I know from school Martha and I went. We arrived and put our stuff down and immediately went off in search of all many things that Amsterdam has to offer. We passed the rest of the weekend in a sort of hazy state of consciousness.

And I think that perhaps the most quintessentially ‘amsterdam’ moment we had was the first night that we were staying in our hostel. Our roommates came home at 6 and 7am. The first arrivee managed to get into his bed, and then he began the oh so noticeable sounds of vomiting. On himself, in his bed, right next to me. I think he managed to hold it all in until he got to the toilet though. And it was histerical trying to listen to him getting back up into his bed. There were no ladders for the bed, so it was hard even when you were sober. Needless to say, it took about 4 tries. And one or two falls. But he made it. Then the other roommates got home at 7ish. One of the guys started talking on his phone to his ‘mate’ back in Australia. The conversation went as follows:
‘oy, dude, I can’t come downtown, I’m in Amsterdam.’
‘no, I’m in Amsterdam, but dude, the walls. They’re eating me.’
‘okay, I’ll talk to you later, I’m gonna go find a place to hide so the walls can’t find me.’

Hilarity I tell you. I wasn’t even upset that I hadn’t gotten any sleep. Met everyone the next morning and actually wished that they would’ve stayed for another night. They were super nice, and cute. So lame they had to leave. Anyways, only in Amsterdam…..

No comments: