Friday, October 24, 2008

le foot!

We went to a proper ‘football’ match the other day. Meaning soccer for all the folks back home. It was a France vs. Tunisia match. We all piled on the RER (metro thing) and it was absolutely packed with people all heading to the game. It arrived at the station and it was just exactly like a mass migration to the stadium. We got out of the maylay and over to the side. Prepared our beverages (vodka mostly) and began the duty of preparing ourselves to be with a bunch of really really drunk football fans cheering for two teams that we really know nothing about. It was brilliant. We showed up a bit late for the game. Made new friends outside the stadium that wound up sitting right exactly in front of us by one row. Totally fun. Oh, and did I mention we were in the 9th row right behind the goal? And also that it only cost 10euro. Because, we were, and it did.

It wound up being just exactly like an American football game back home. I got really drunk, barely watched the game, and socialized a whole bunch. Although, I never missed a goal! Tunisia went up first, and then I realized that the entire stadium was for Tunisia. Literally, there were about 500 France fans, and the rest 19500 were all for Tunisia. We were a minority for sure. In any case, we cheered for Tunisia, we cheered for France, we pretty much just cheered when we got to. France won though, so we got bragging rights in the end. It was chaos back on the RER afterwards too. It was absolutely packed to the gills, I don’t think another person could’ve fit on the train. Seriously, I have lost any semblance of personal space here. Well, after arriving back in paris it was off to the bars to celebrate the win. And then off to bed come 5am when I realized that it was still Tuesday and I had 6.5 hours of class the next day. That was fun. I even seem to remember something about dancing on a table with a girl from ohio. But I’m not sure how accurate that is……

No comments: